By Ellis Wasson
- Places Britain in an international context, charting the increase and fall of the British empire and the effect of imperialism at the social, monetary, and political advancements of the house country
- Includes revised sections on imperialism and the commercial revolution which were up to date to mirror contemporary scholarship, a extra reflective view on New Labour seeing that its death, and an all new part at the functionality of the Conservative – Lib/Dem coalition that got here into workplace in 2010
- Features illustrations, maps, an up to date bibliography, a whole checklist of top Ministers, a family tree of the royal kinfolk, and a finished thesaurus explaining uniquely British phrases, acronyms, and recognized figures
- Spans themes as various because the slave alternate, the novels of Charles Dickens, the Irish Potato Famine, the legalization of homosexuality, coalmines in South Wales, Antarctic exploration, and the discovery of the computer
- Includes wide connection with historiography
Read Online or Download A History of Modern Britain: 1714 to the Present PDF
Similar uk history books
Britain was once the 1st kingdom to return less than sustained ballistic missile assault, in the course of 1944-45. Defence opposed to ballistic missiles has been a power, if hugely variable, topic of political coverage and technical research ever seeing that. The British moment global battle adventure of attempting to counter the V-2 assaults contained many parts of next responses to ballistic missile threats.
From 1649-1660 England used to be governed by way of a status military for the single time in its heritage. within the military in Cromwellian England Henry Reece describes the character of that have for the 1st time, either for officials and infantrymen, and for civilian society. the amount is dependent in 3 elements. the 1st part seeks to catch the adventure of being a member of a peacetime status military: its various measurement, the explanations why males joined and remained in provider, how lengthy they served for, what officials and their males spent their time doing in peacetime, the factors governing merchandising, and how within which officials and infantrymen engaged with political concerns because the army's function replaced from the pressure-group politics of the overdue 1640s to theinstitutionalization of its strength after 1653.
Very diversified, yet a lot an analogous takes as its place to begin the distribution of political, ideological, and monetary strength among English society's constituent roles from the time while Daniel Defoe used to be writing Robinson Crusoe, and argues that Defoe may locate it remarkably related 3 centuries later regardless of the entire adjustments in expertise, life, facilities, ideals, attitudes, norms, and values in which he might doubtless be astonished.
Marriage, functionality, and Politics on the Jacobean court docket constitutes the 1st full-length examine of Jacobean nuptial functionality, a hitherto unexplored department of early sleek theater inclusive of masques and entertainments played for high-profile weddings. Scripted by means of such writers as Ben Jonson, Thomas Campion, George Chapman, and Francis Beaumont, those entertainments have been fixed for one of the most major political occasions of James's English reign.
- Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America 1492-1830: Britain and Spain in America, 1492-1830
- Against Throne and Altar: Machiavelli and Political Theory Under the English Republic
- England and its Rulers: 1066 - 1307 (Blackwell Classic Histories of England)
- Housewives and citizens: Domesticity and the women's movement in England, 1928-64 (Gender in History MUP)
- Arms and the State: Sir William Armstrong and the Remaking of British Naval Power, 1854–1914 (Modern Economic and Social History)
- The Murder of William of Norwich: The Origins of the Blood Libel in Medieval Europe
Additional resources for A History of Modern Britain: 1714 to the Present
A History of Modern Britain: 1714 to the Present by Ellis Wasson